I hope everyone’s Summer has been full of new adventures. As far as what I’ve been up to this Summer – I’ve been playing a lot of tennis, spending QT with my people, and spending several weekends at our beach house in Rockport. Rockport is a cozy little beach town located about 30 minutes away from Corpus Christi. Although Rockport/Fulton is a small town of only about 8,000 people, they have a big heart for bringing the community together and it just really has that small town charm. Rockport holds such a special place in my family and I’s heart so I wanted to share with you guys my Top 10 favorite things to do there and maybe you will be inspired to plan a weekend visit when you are in the mood for a lowkey, relaxing few days at the beach.
1. FESTIVALS: Rockport holds many annual events for the locals and visitors. One of the most popular events held each year is the Oyster Fest – this festival includes auctions, an oyster eating competition, live music, and a huge carnival! Other than the Oyster Fest there is an annual Bird Festival (our mom’s personal fave – the lady is obsessed with birds) and the Art Festival which is my fav and is held every July!
2. FUN DINNER SPOT: The Boiling Pot is a perfect dinner spot for the family. The unique and fun atmosphere is enjoyed by all ages- everyone wears bibs and you are allowed to draw on the walls of the restaurant! Enjoy fresh seafood straight from the gulf of Mexico dumped onto your table! This is a fun experience in Rockport you don’t want to miss.
3. DOWNTOWN SHOPPING: When you need a break from fun in the sun make sure to take a trip down North Austin Street and visit all of the cool, local shops. Some of my favorites to visit are the t-shirt shop: Goin’ Coastal, beachy boutique: Mermaid Ranch, and several other shops selling local goods!
4. BREAKFAST SPOT: My absolute top two favorite breakfast spots: Our Family Kitchen and Rositas. Both are family owned with cozy atmospheres & great menus!
5. COZY STAY :If you need somewhere to stay, The Lighthouse Inn is a great local choice right on the water next to all the restaurants and a short drive to the beach and downtown shops. Before our family got a place down here, this is where we would always stay growing up, and we loved it! It also has a private fishing pier and a pool. Side note: there are several great cutesy rentals in town too if you are wanting more space!
6. ROCKPORT BEACH:When you’re ready to relax, Rockport Beach is a must see. No need to bring a tent to this beach because there are cabanas already set up for you on this very clean and well kept beach. TIP: they do fill up fast on the weekend so show up early to claim your spot.
7. GOLF CART CRUISIN’: I highly recommend renting a golf cart while in town. Harbor Carts Golf Cart Rentals on N Fulton Beach Road provides daily golf cart rentals. It’s super fun to ride through all of the neighborhoods and check out all of the historic homes. Most shops and restaurants are accessible by golf cart as well, which makes a perfect day out on the town with the fam!
8. CASUAL LUNCH: Benchwarmers/Hudat is a combined American + Asian restaurant. Both menus are delicious and offer a lot of options for anyone in your group. I personally recommend fried pickles, lemon pepper wings and a side of parmesan fries. Delicious! This place is super close to Harbor Carts Rentals so you can just cruise on over here after you pick up your cool new whip!
9. MONTHLY MARKET DAYS: Not only does Rockport have annual festivals, but they also hold a monthly Market in front of the main beach in Rockport every third weekend of the month. Many vendors from around Texas gather and sell unique items such as home decor, fishing gear, and clothing. There are always food trucks set up as well which always makes for a fun time!
10. FISHING: If you love to fish, Rockport is the perfect place for you! Rockport is known as a ‘fishing town’ by a lot of people in Texas. There are several public piers and places off the side of the roads to fish all up and down the water! You can also fish off of the marina and have several bait shops in walking distance. If you’re feeling real adventurous, Rockport also offers charter fishing trips!
These are just a few fun things to do on a relaxing weekend in Rockport – we hope you visit soon and fall in love with the Coastal charm that our family loves so much!